Critical thinking development is a gradual process. It requires: mastering plateaus of learning as well as maintaining a serious focus on the process itself, changing personal habits of thought, which tends to be a long-range project, and takes extensive development time.
Within the process of critical thinking it is important to recognize what does not comprise its basic elements or components. Critical thinking is not accomplished by: saying something without carefully thinking it through, taking a guess at what one thinks “should” be done, memorizing material to analyze, discuss or examine, doing something just because it has always been done, believing something because it is what everyone else tends to believe, or arguing about something when there are no facts to back up the argument.
Critical thinkers gather, assemble, evaluate and appraise relevant information. They come to well-reasoned deductions, conclusions and solutions, while measuring and testing them against relevant standards and criteria. They also keep an open mind within alternative systems of thought while continually recognizing and assessing their assumptions and lines of reasoning. Finally, critical thinkers communicate effectively with others in seeking out and determining solutions for challenges and problems.
Developing Critical Thinking Skills presents strategies and techniques to develop critical think skills in the workplace. It helps leaders develop, analyze and evaluate data and information through the use of critical thinking skills to improve their ability to solve problems and make better and more informed decisions.
Its unique advantage is that it educates leaders how to use critical thinking tactics, strategies and techniques to adequately develop sufficient information to critically frame problems for accurate analysis.
Problems Developing Critical Thinking Skills Addresses
What is it worth to you if you could solve one or more of the following problems?
- The presence of inadequate critical thinking skills in either you or your employees to solve problems and identify solutions
- Either you or your employees are unable or are experiencing difficulty adequately developing sufficient information to effectively solve problems
- Either you or your employees are incapable or are experiencing difficulty of identifying the root cause of problems and issues
- Either you or your employees are unable or are experiencing difficulty critically probing and analyzing responses and feedback
- Either you or your employees are incapable or are experiencing difficulty developing, analyzing and evaluating data and information
- Either you or your employees display an inability or are experiencing difficulty effectively applying critical thinking skills to problem solving and decision making
- Either you or your employees are unable or are experiencing difficulty critically framing problems for accurate analysis
What Will You Learn
Developing Critical Thinking Skills will teach you:
- The foundation of critical thinking
- How to develop, analyze and evaluate data and information through the use of critical thinking skills
- How to effectively apply critical thinking skills to problem solving and decision making
- How to critically frame problems for accurate analysis
- The appropriate application of specific critical thinking traits
“These are questioning skills that go beyond what I learned in my Black Belt training”
—Mike McDonald, V.P. HR, Foremost Farms